When you talk to Coronavirus Doom Cultists and point out that this actually isn’t a big deal and shutting down the entire society is an insane response, they inevitably mention Italy having a high mortality rate.
But the details of this are not really stated.
Firstly, calling it the “Italian outbreak” is kind of wrong, because most of Italy is fine. It would make more sense to call it the “Milan outbreak” or the “Lombardy outbreak,” as virtually all of the cases – and all of the problems with logistics and so on – are in Milan and surrounding areas.
These people keep trying to deride “it’s just a flu, bro,” but literally, any flu could have done this to Lombardy.
If a flu outbreak had killed a few thousand people in one province in Italy at any other time in history, you wouldn’t know about it, and most people in Italy wouldn’t know about it. Hell, most people in Milan itself wouldn’t know about it. Every single year, the flu has “hot spots” where larger numbers of people die than elsewhere. And these numbers are not outside of that trend which has existed forever.
I will say it one more time: there are between 300,000 and 500,000 global deaths from the flu every single year. Now think about that spread across the cold areas of the world (North America, Europe and East Asia), where relatively few of the world’s 7,000,000,000 people live.
Every year there are places where the flu death toll is especially high and the hospitals struggle to cope, as is happening in Italy.
In 2018, 80,000 Americans died of the flu. www.nytimes.com/2018/10/01/healt...
In New York City, there are currently just over 5,000 cases of hospitalization with Coronavirus, while in 2018, there were over 23,000 people hospitalized with the flu. I’m sure the hospitals were really struggling then. But you didn’t hear about it. www.lohud.com/story/news/health/...
In Lombardy, the same problem exists as exists everywhere else outside of Asia, where no one knows how many people have it because there is not widespread testing, making the morality rate difficult to ascertain.
It is almost certain that huge numbers of people have this virus across the world and don’t know, because they just have a little cough and the sniffles or no symptoms at all.
“Italy Tho” is Not a Gotcha
User comments (40)
Top posts of the day
- CNN: Trump is NOT a doctor . . . (15 hours ago)
- When Your Girl Tells You not to Embarrass her in public! (12 hours ago)
- Indian Scientists Discover Hydroxychloroquine Treatment Prevents COVID-19, Vindi... (20 hours ago)
- VIDEO: Planned Parenthood Officials Admit Under Oath to Selling Baby Parts - Big... (19 hours ago)
- 🔴America Descends Into Chaos Amid Nationwide Attacks "Designed To Destabilize Ci... (16 hours ago)
- How the Royal Family Is Being Impacted by the Coronavirus | E! News (2 months ago)
- Trump Is Calling Coronavirus the Chinese Virus? That's Racist - Rolling Stone (2 months ago)
- Here’s How to Tell If That Sneeze Is Coronavirus, the Flu or Just a Cold (2 months ago)
- Canadians face coronavirus recession — and Trudeau is DOUBLING the carbon tax ne... (2 months ago)
- Coronavirus: How South Korea is successfully tackling COVID-19 without shutting ... (1 month ago)