Abiqua Falls in Oregon is a beautiful example of a basalt column amphitheater. Over 90 percent of all volcanic rock is basalt, but only a small fraction of it forms into the hexagonal columns that you see here. When molten lava hits the atmosphere, rapid cooling causes it to contract into these characteristic columns. It's just part of what makes Abiqua Falls so spectacular.
The waterfall is on the grounds of Mount Angel Abbey, a Benedictine monastery formed in 1882. The monastery now houses a seminary, library, retreat center, and very successful brewery. Monks and brewing have a long tradition together, with medieval monks being credited with developing the first true breweries as early as the 9th century. Lest you think the monks were just looking for a little buzz, remember that beer was such a common drink back then because water was often polluted or carried disease.
Top posts of the day
- How The Epstein Saga Connects To Almost Every Aspect of The Worldwide Conspiracy... (13 hours ago)
- Dear Clueless America: You Are Now Living Under The Tyranny You Deserve, For You... (16 hours ago)
- Moscow mayor imposes citywide lockdown (23 hours ago)
- Morning Sickness (15 hours ago)
- God is so mad at us . . . (23 hours ago)
- 8 asylum seekers released from federal prison in Oregon (1 year ago)
- UK weather forecast - Met Office map reveals 20cm of SNOW for Britain and plumme... (1 year ago)
- Saudi nationals facing criminal charges in Oregon have vanished in recent years,... (1 year ago)
- Body Cam Officer Involed Fatal Shooting at School in Oregon - YouTube (1 year ago)
- Rescue underway for 183 Amtrak passengers stranded in Oregon (1 year ago)